[kaffe] Re: "PS2" Patches to Kaffe

Dylan Schell dylans at xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 8 14:19:09 PDT 2002

Kevin D. Kissell wrote:

> Some more unsolicited notes and comment (I think it would be
> a really good idea if I could be put on the kaffe developers
> mailing list, either as kevink at mips.com or kevink at paralogos.com,
> just let me know as whom I should be posting).
>
> I have a slight disagreement with  Dylan's patch,
> though the effect should be pretty much the same.
> In his last posted patch, we have:
>
> *** kaffe-1.0.7-rc1/config/mips/mips.c	Fri Oct 15 03:38:46 1999
> --- kaffe-1.0.7-rc1-ps2/config/mips/mips.c	Mon Jun 17 00:59:46 2002
> ***************
> *** 19,25 ****
> --- 19,31 ----
>   #include "object.h"
>   #include "support.h"
>   #include "../../kaffe/kaffevm/thread.h"
> + #include "common.h"
>
> + #ifdef PS2LINUX
> + #  include "jit.h"
> + int maxArgs;
> + int isStatic;
> + #endif
>
> I ran into this problem myself, but noted that in fact
> the contents of mips.c is only needed if one has a JIT.
> I was able to build and run a interpreter-only kaffe
> by making the following change:
>
> *** config/mips/linux/md.c.dist Fri Jul  5 14:46:33 2002
> --- config/mips/linux/md.c      Fri Jul  5 14:46:49 2002
> ***************
> *** 9,12 ****
> --- 9,14 ----
>    * of this file.
>    */
>
> + #if defined(TRANSLATOR)
>   #include "mips/mips.c"
> + #endif
>
> Which struck me as being a better solution,
> particuarly for memory-starved environments.

I already had the feeling some bitrot was going on here
but since I'm still trying to understand how the kaffe
code fits together, this was just a quick hack to get
me going...

> So with that modification, I applied Dylan's
> patches both my MIPS Malta 2.4.18 platform and
> my PS2 (actually, I had independently done most
> of them, and thank Dylan for having attacked the
> software-floating-double hack, which was the last
> thing I ran up against before setting the problem
> aside).  On the PS2, things build, and many things
> run.  As Dylan may recall, I was working on fixing
> the FPU emulation for the PS2 kernel, and I have
> that *partly* working.  If I do a default build,
> the jit3 code seems to be active, and it is generating
> a fair amount of double-precision FPU instructions
> that are being fed to the emulator.  The output of
> a "make check" looks as follows:

I was wondering about this part of my patch, would this go
away when a FPU emulator is present?

<snip>

I also have 5 failures left for the interpreter, they
all seem to come back to the difference between 0.0 and -0.0 and
Inf/-Inf. Does the FPU emulator know the difference between these
values? Also note that one of Float tests ( don't remember which )
is acually a Float/Double test that fails on the Double part....