[kaffe] Implementing Kaffe with KDE Konqueror browser?

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 30 12:23:00 PDT 2002

--- Dalibor Topic <robilad at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > What you can do:
> > * get the latest KDE source
> > * compile konqueror and kjas
> > * try running kjas on kaffe by hand and see if it
> > breaks
> > * if it does, complain here ;)
>
> Konqueror's java support is in KDE's CVS at
> kdelibs/khtml/java/

After doing the above steps myself, I think that there
is some work remains to be done before having kaffe
(from CVS head) can run as an appletviewer in
konqueror (from CVS head). Here's why:

KJAS launches a console window. In latest konqueror,
it's a swing JFrame. As we don't have a Swing
implementation yet, JFrame would be the first thing to
provide, along with JComponent & friends.

There is also some talk about using java 1.2 security
features, which seems to boil down to a kjas specific
security manager, and a kjas applet class loader.
There is also a kjas policy file, but kaffe doesn't
handle policy files yet, so that should not matter.

You might want to try to use the AWT console from
kdejava and to patch the java 1.2 check in
org.kde.kjas.server.Main to handle kaffe and see how
far such a modified kjava.jar gets you.

On the other hand, you might want to implement the
required swing classes, which would be highly welcome,
of course ;)

good luck,