[kaffe] -O4 jit3 problem

Patrick Tullmann tullmann at cs.utah.edu
Mon Jun 3 12:03:57 PDT 2002

> > Has anything happened with this bug?  I was running
> > developers/FullTest.sh
> > on kaffe cvs/FreeBSD 4.3/gcc v2.95.3 and a similar
> > thing was happening
> > (e.g. StackDump seems to fail because it doesn't
> > detect JNI exception
> > handlers).
>
> I had a discussion about how to fix it with Pat, but
> no patch came out of it :(
>
> On the other hnad, that means that it's all still open
> for sugestions ;)

One idea I had was to have each JNI function in the
BEGIN_EXCEPTION_HANDLING macro store its start and size in the
'vmException' buffer.  The problem is there is no
__builtin_function_size() GCC macro or anything that can tell you
that.

However, I know that there are tools that can generate such info from
a .o file.

So, we'd have to compile jni.c to jni.o, run a script over jni.o to
extract the length of each function, create a .c file that defines
'size_<function_name>' for each JNI entrypoint, compile that and link
it in.

The hardest part will probably be getting the Makefiles to do that.  :)

I'll play around with this and see if it can be made to work (the
stack unwinding code will have to be updated, too).

-Pat

Pat Tullmann                                       tullmann at cs.utah.edu
	   "I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize." -- S. Wright