[kaffe] createDaemon Bug in kaffe-1.0.6

Fang Weijian wjfang at csis.hku.hk
Wed Jun 26 20:45:01 PDT 2002

I found a bug related to createDaemon and gc in kaffe-1.0.6.

In createDaemon() of thread.c, an Hjava_lang_Thread object will be created,
and its members, target and group, will be used to store the function and
arg of the daemon temporarily. Later, target and group will be reset in
startSpecialThread().

However, if a gc is invoked between createDaemon and startSpecialThread, a
bug will occur. According to the gc layout of Hjava_lang_Thread, gc will try
to mark what the target points to. At this moment, target points to the
daemon function that is not in the heap. Then Kaffe will abnormally exit.

I don't know whether this bug has been reported before, and whether it is
fixed in the latest version of Kaffe.

Thanks.

Regards,

Weijian