VerifyError in PushbackReader

Oskar Sandberg oskar at freenetproject.org
Sun Mar 17 00:50:05 PST 2002

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 05:27:05PM -0800, Archie Cobbs wrote:

> Erik Corry writes:
> > Whenever I try to run a program (javac, HelloWorld, appletviewer)
> > I get the same error:
> >
> > java.lang.VerifyError: at pc 5 sp 7 not in range [4, 6]
> >     at java.io.PushbackReader.<init>(PushbackReader.java:32)
> >     at at.dms.compiler.tools.antlr.extra.InputBuffer.<init>(InputBuffer.java:68)
> >     at at.dms.compiler.tools.antlr.extra.InputBuffer.<init>(InputBuffer.java:81)
> >     at at.dms.kjc.Main.parseFile(Main.java:278)
> >     at at.dms.kjc.Main.run(Main.java:116)
> >     at at.dms.kjc.Main.compile(Main.java:68)
> >     at at.dms.kjc.Main.main(Main.java:59)
>
> I'm pretty sure it's a verifier problem. I've seen this before,
> and when I sent the classfile to the jikes people, they said it
> looked fine to them.

With earlier versions of jikes, I would get verify errors like this
whenever there was a private or protected constructor (rather than
public) on an internal class. PushbackReader has that on the
PushbackBuffer class, so that might be worth checking out.

With jikes 1.14 this seems to have been fixed, but jikes 1.15 is
completely broken as far as I know and produces verify errors all over
the place.

> You might try rebuilding Klasses.jar with jikes or kjc (whichever
> wasn't used before) as a possible workaround..
>
> I don't know who knows about the verifier but it needs a
> review apparently...

When jikes produced these errors for me, the problems did not kaffe seem
specific.

--

Oskar Sandberg
oskar at freenetproject.org