kaffe-current on NetBSD...

Mason Loring Bliss mason at acheron.middleboro.ma.us
Tue Mar 19 12:45:32 PST 2002

Hey, all. I'm wondering if someone could point me in the right direction
with something.

I'm new to Java, and new to Kaffe. I'd like a "newer" Kaffe than 1.0.6,
so I've snagged and build the sources from the anoncvs server. I'm
having mixed results. (I'm using NetBSD 1.5.3_RC1. Also, for what it's
worth, the errors I'm describing don't happen for me with Kaffe 1.0.6.)

First, javac is not working for me. I'm not sure where it's failing, but it
"just returns". I've modified /usr/local/bin/kaffe to ktrace Kaffe, and
that generates some results - libexec/Kaffe is running - but I'm not sure
where it's failing. I see nothing obvious in the ktrace output.

Second, occasional things (I haven't explored enough to properly
characterize exactly what) are failing when I try to run them - to wit, I
have, for instance, the installer for http://www.webarts.bc.ca/jOggPlayer/,
and it runs fine under Sun's jdk 1.3 (under Linux emulation) but not at
all under Kaffe, for some reason. Saying -v doesn't show me any errors.
The last line of output is:

Following this, "echo $?" says "1", FWIW. But, running the small graphical
"hello world"ish demo from "Just Java" also returns "1" even though it runs
successfully, so I'm not sure this is significant.

Thanks in advance for clues. I realize that this problem report is pretty
sparse... I'll be happy to provide any number of details on request.

--
Mason Loring Bliss          awake ? sleep : random() & 2 ? dream : sleep;
mason at acheron.middleboro.ma.us      https://acheron.ne.client2.attbi.com/