Most popular applications?

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 21 14:16:47 PST 2002

On Thursday, 21. March 2002 18:13, Stuart Ballard wrote:
> Apache JServ and GNUJSP (sorry, my site was developed before Tomcat was
> credibly stable). http://java.apache.org/ and
> http://www.klomp.org/gnujsp/
>
> And while we're going for server-side stuff, we should try to make sure
> as many JDBC bindings work as possible (Oracle and PostgreSQL are the
> ones that matter to me personally).

Do JServ & GNUJSP work with kaffe.org's version? If not, what's missing?

> JBoss seems to have some momentum these days and I might be using it in
> the future.
>
> Also, the other Jakarta projects: Ant seems very widely used, Struts is
> something I've been looking into for future use, etc.

Agreed.

> By the way, have you given any thought to improving cooperation with the
> GNU Classpath project? I realize that currently the licensing is
> probably an insurmountable goal to actually merging Kaffe's class
> library with Classpath, but it would be nice to be able to configure
> Kaffe to run --with-classpath, if such a thing were possible.
> Duplication of effort on such a large problem as the Java libraries
> seems so tragically wasteful.

That would be a nice feature, and another plaform for classpath to run on. I
don't think it's a tragical waste, since both projects have diametrical
goals: here a virtual machine running on an awful lot of platforms, there a
class library running on many virtual machines. Different goals allow
different decisions to be made, thus different ideas prosper in design &
development. As long as people don't get too excited about the duplication of
effort, and start religious wars everything will be fine.

In my opinion choice is beneficial to everyone. It might take longer to get a
free software version of java 1.x with multiple class libraries being
developed in parallel, but I don't think time really is such a big problem
here. If you feel that development on kaffe should proceed faster, you are
more than welcome to contribute :)