Most popular applications?

Oskar Sandberg oskar at freenetproject.org
Fri Mar 22 07:00:51 PST 2002

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 02:00:50PM -0700, Andrew Taylor wrote:

> Jim Pick wrote:
> > I'll start off the list:
> >
> > 1) Tomcat:  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/ - for running servlets

We use Tomcat's servlet classes as the basis for the servlet support in
the Freenet daemon's web server, and it runs fine. We don't use the jsp
part, but it builds against the Klasses without any problems.

<>
> 4) Ant: http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/ - Java based make-like build tool.

I build this and it's dependancies from source last night, and it works
fine. Some of the taskdefs will fail to build because they are hardcoded
against sun.tools.javac, but it has compiler tasks for jikes and kjc
that work well if you just set the compiler accordingly.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 12:16:39PM +0200, Jukka Santala wrote:
<>
> 3) Ogg/Vorbis Java codec, this was added recently, probably doesn't work

If you mean Jorbis decoder, then I did get it to build and run, but it
gives me weird (pulsating) sound artifacts. I don't know if it my system
or something with kaffe. I assuming the included java player would not
work do to 1.2+ java sound APIs.

> 7) CSIRO SVG; I can unqualifiedly say this doesn't work, and I doubt
> adding Java2D to Kaffe is going to happen in near future. I'm looking at
> implementing Mobile SVG to run with Kaffe.

It tried to get Batik (Apache's SVG library) to work some time ago, but
I ended up giving up after several hours of trying to hack around
missing 1.2isms.

<>
> 9) Apache Xerces+Xalan with sax, moving to version 2.0 probably

They seem to build fine and to the extent that they are used for Ant I'm
having no problems with them. I can't promise they work since I don't
really know what they do though :-).

<>
> In addition it was mentioned on GCJ list I believe that FreeNet runs on
> Kaffe.

Freenet runs fine, but that is to a large extent do to me developing
using kaffe and making sure that it stays that way. (IMHO it would make
little sense to build a free network if the reference implementation is
bound to a locked down and proprietary platform.) But that said, all
JVMs seem to have issues, and kaffe's openness has made it a lot less
painful to deal with them.

--

Oskar Sandberg
oskar at freenetproject.org