JRE file layout for 1.0.7?

Archie Cobbs archie at dellroad.org
Sat Mar 30 11:14:18 PST 2002

Jim Pick writes:
> I want to minimize the number of changes for 1.0.7, in order to minimize the
> amount of surprises and I don't want to introduce new instabilities.
>
> But I would like to change the way the the files are installed when doing
> "make install".  Instead of installing it by default in /usr/local/bin,
> /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/include, etc., I'd like to have the default
> install put everything in /usr/local/kaffe, in a JRE-style layout.  That
> way, people could just set JAVA_HOME to point there, and use it instead of a
> regular JDK or JRE.  Plus I've always disliked how the kaffe install places
> those "java" and "javac" wrappers in /usr/local/bin.  Also, I've been bit a
> few times by kaffe versions I've been working on accidentally dynamically
> intended.

I don't know which is better or worse, but this is contrary to the
way FreeBSD ports work. Everything goes into /usr/local/bin, etc.
in a standard layout. Otherwise you'd have to add a zillion things
to your PATH.

On the other hand, /usr/local/kaffe is a good way to keep things
separate... Hmm..

Can you explain in a little more detail how JAVA_HOME works? What
happens when I type "java" on the command line and both kaffe and
some other JRE are installed? Etc.

I guess my only objection is that it would be nice if people shouldn't
have to add /usr/local/kaffe/bin (or whatever) to their PATH in
order to run kaffe after installing it...

-Archie