[kaffe] Release Candidate still coming!

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Sat May 4 07:34:25 PDT 2002

Hi,

Sorry, I didn't get RC1 out yet.  I've been swamped at work with stuff
that's perceived to be urgent (trying to get our first KaffePro
evaluation release ready), so I didn't have a lot of time at work to
spend on kaffe.org.  Anyways, I'm going to spend some time on it this
weekend, since I feel that it's very important to get things moving.
Thanks to everybody (especially Dalibor) for putting so much work into
bugfixing and testing already.

I spent some time last week trying to fix the libtool problems I'm
having.  I guess I really want to see Kaffe compile out of the box on
Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Cygwin and Darwin/Mac OS X for this
release.  That'll cover off most of the desktop users out there, which
would be nice.  I've spent about 2 days trying to get it to go on
Darwin, but I'm in libtool hell, apparently.  :-)

I think I can get that fixed this weekend.  I've tested on Linux/x86 and
NetBSD/x86 (using gmake), and it seems OK there.

I also want to do some minimal application testing (at least if it runs
Tomcat, it's useful to somebody).

It looks like Dalibor updated kjc, so I'm happy about that.  I'm not
going to incorporate rebuilding of the Klasses.jar into the Makefile
this time around, since I was playing around with the bootstrapping
issues (with KaffePro), and they require a bit more thought.

So, I'm going to try to get it to finally compile on Darwin, and then I
should be ready to cut the RC1 release.

Cheers,

 - Jim