[kaffe] Release Candidate 1 this weekend

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Thu May 23 10:49:32 PDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 09:16, Timothy Stack wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sorry, I haven't gotten Release Candidate 1 (RC1) out yet.  I just wanted to
> > do a few things first:
> >
> >  1) Clear out my backlog of patches and emails out of my inbox
> >  2) Try compiling it on a few more platforms (Linux works, I just installed
> > NetBSD, I'm going to try it on my iBook (Mac OS X/Darwin), and I'll take a
> > stab at cygwin/mingw32)
> >  3) Fix the libtool issue
> >  4) Look at whether or not kjc should be updated
> >  5) Incorporate rebuilding of the class libraries into the build procedure
> > (the PocketLinux kaffe does this, using a cut-down "Klasses.jar.default"
> > bootstrap library).  If we can get rid of having to check in a binary
> > Klasses.jar into CVS each time it gets updated, that would be really nice,
> > since the Klasses.jar,v file in the CVS repository is currently 107MB!,
> > which explains why it's so slow to check stuff out.
> > 6) Do the "Ports" and "Credits" pages on the website
>
> So, uh, how is this stuff going?

Good.  I think I got most of my issues resolved - I got it to compile
and work for me on cygwin (on one machine, at least) - with a few hacks
here and there, which I'll probably commit.  On Darwin, I can compile it
too.

My patch/email backlog is getting a bit lengthy - maybe I'll spend
tomorrow and clean it out.  Then the only thing left is to try to figure
out the mechanics of actually tar'ing up the release and posting it.

If I don't get a tarball made this weekend - somebody flame me.  You
guys have to keep some pressure on me.  :-)

> > Hopefully, with a little help, I can get RC1 done this weekend.
>
> No need to rush this, how about setting a date a little further out, like
> july or the start of august.

I want to move into a heavy development mode, so let's shoot for
mid-June to get 1.0.7 tested and released.  I imagine we can have a
1.0.8 release beyond that in July or August.

Cheers,

 - Jim