[kaffe] Benchmarking kaffe using XSLTMark

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Thu May 30 10:42:03 PDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-30 at 09:41, Dalibor Topic wrote:

> The bad news: we are slower than JDK 1.3.1. Especially
> xalan seems to
> suffer from class and resource loading. So I'd like to
> propose a
> new caching scheme for our system class loader: beside
> just caching
> classes, it should cache the directories (i.e.
> packages) in classpath
> entries. That should reduce the cost of class/resource
> lookup from
> linear (scanning the classpath) to constant (single
> classpath entry)
> for most resources.

I recently read on the gcj list that Mark Mitchell had posted a patch
for gcj that did something similar, which dramatically sped things up
(especially on some platforms, where file/directory accesses are very
expensive).

I guess my only concern would be increased complexity and memory
requirements for the cache...

Cheers,

 - Jim