[kaffe] MediaTracker

Jukka Santala jsantala at tml.hut.fi
Fri May 31 03:01:19 PDT 2002

On 30 May 2002, Jim Pick wrote:
> Okay, I applied it, but didn't test it.

Thanks. I tested it, but I'd also like to comment on the style, as it was
brought up. I personally prefer self-documenting code, especially where
comments aren't preferable (interfaces etc.), which includes fully
qualified names showing where the class members are coming from even when
they aren't syntaxically required. This tends te reduce confusion,
although possibly at slight cost to code reusability (the cut & paste
kind, mainly). However, I didn't bother touching other people's code to do
that, since as far as I knwo there's no style-guideliens for Kaffe source,
and the rest of the code was mixing fully-qualified and relative
references as well. Unfortunately, this probably leads to worse confusion
than not using fully qualified naems at all, since the reader is left
wondering why the different way of referring... are they really the same
after all?

So, I'd like to propose trying to accept some sort of style-guidelines for
Kaffe code, for this and other similiar cases. Even if in the end they
just ended up recommending that people try to use uniform style within
each class :)

 -Jukka Santala