[kaffe] Re: rebuildLib for cross compiling

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 7 10:28:41 PST 2002

hi Kiyo,

--- Kiyo Inaba <inaba at src.ricoh.co.jp> wrote:
> Hi Dalibor,
>
> >> Are there smart idea to avoid this problem?
> >you could try to comment out JIKES= line in
> rebuildLib
> >and set the environment variable JIKES to a working
> >java compiler on the host.
>
> That's the way how I do right now. That's why I
> asked aren't there
> any 'smart' way...
>
> The configure script knows whether it is cross
> compiling or not,
> and then it should not be so hard to determine which
> java compiler
> 'rebuildLib' shall use for bootstrapping.

If you can come up with a patch that simplifies cross
compiling, I'll be glad to check it in. At the moment
it's quite hard for novices, as one needs to know what
variable to set, which file to edit, and so on.

for example, it should be easy to find out if we have
a working kaffeh installed and use that as KAFFEH
unless one is specified.

the same for the compiler: if we are cross compiling,
and JIKES is not set, set it to the first javac we
find, or jikes. the first case finds sun's javac and
kaffe, the other finds jikes.

best regards,