[kaffe] KeyEvent -> JDK 1.4 patch (And longer explanation;)

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Fri Oct 11 14:25:06 PDT 2002

Hi,

On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 22:46, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> SQL interfaces have also changed in 1.4, breaking
> mauve tests, for example. If you check kaffe's sources
> in java/sql/ you'll see that I've left the new methods
> commented out when I updated the interfaces.

I fixed some of this breakage in Mauve this morning.
It would be nice if someone could try a recent checkout
of Mauve with kaffe to see if it works OK now.

> > Since our roadmap (And Richard Stallman:)
> > currently calls for a
> > Kaffe compatible release at the end of the month,
> > this is bit tricky
> > without tighter Kaffe release schedule or
> > work-arounds in XSmiles.
>
> I'd expect RMS to call for a gcj compatible release ;)

I do see the smiley, but I reply anyway to make sure that there is no
miscommunication here. Richard has always asked people that write free
software programs in java to make sure that it works with one of the
free implementations. Since Kaffe is a free implementation that works
for most applications it is only natural to point people to it.

In the past he had also expected that Kaffe would be the free VM that
would be used by the GNU project. And when other projects were launched
like GNU Classpath and gcj he has always asked the developers to work
together with the Kaffe developers. This has sadly not happened very
much in the past. But mostly because it is a lot of work and there is
just so little time.

I still hope to get some work done to make at least Kaffe and GNU
Classpath work together (which should make it easier to get kaffe
working better with gcj compiled native code) but this is a lot of work
and there is much other work to do and so little time...

Cheers,

Mark