[kaffe] Serial Comms

Ian Brown Ian.Brown at namitech.com
Tue Sep 10 04:38:57 PDT 2002

Thanks Chris

The units are currently running a C++ application that I want to port to Java (mainly so that I only have one code-base to support as I also have some systems that run on Windows pc's). As the database I am currently using either MS SQL or Interbase depending on the size of the installation. The database update is no problem and works beautifully using TCP/IP Sockets (via a server application). There is no database running on the embedded PC and the load is relatively small since it is working almost as a protocol converter, converting serial comms to TCP/IP sockets. There is no GUI or anything that consumes major resources.

My problem is specifically around the serial comms and more specifically getting Mark and Space parity working. The machines that I connect to require Mark parity to 'wake them up' and then Space parity for all further comms. On the Windows platform I am using JDK 1.4 and a third party Java serial component called SerialIo that works fine. On the Linux platform, due to the size constraints, I am unable to use JDK 1.4 and so I am looking at alternate VM's.

Have you used Kaffe for Serial comms ?

Ian