[kaffe] DefaultSerialization

Patrick Tullmann tullmann at cs.utah.edu
Tue Sep 17 22:23:23 PDT 2002

In libraries/nativelib/clib/ObjectStreamClassImpl.c, the function
findDefaultSerialization() tries to find an inner class named
"DefaultSerialization" of any class it is trying to serialize.  It
seems that java.util.Hashtable, java.math.BigInteger, and
java.awt.Component all use this inner class.  It provides some sort of
object-specific assistance to the serialization code.

As far as I can tell, this is completely a Kaffe-specific
construction.  (Classpath's Component and Hashtable just
serialize/deserialize themselves in a straightforward way.  I can't
find anything interesting on the web about a "DefaultSerialization"
inner class as a hack for customization of serialization).

I can't imagine this is Java-compatible (anyone who happens to have an
inner class called "DefaultSerialization" will probably get surprising
results).  Perhaps its a hack that pre-dates some fixes Sun made to
serialization?  Anyone know anything about this?

-Pat

Pat Tullmann                                       tullmann at cs.utah.edu
                          Mean people suck.