[kaffe] DefaultSerialization

Patrick Tullmann tullmann at cs.utah.edu
Wed Sep 18 11:35:01 PDT 2002

Archie wrote:
> I thought the whole point of adding DefaultSerialization to
> java.util.Hashtable was to make its serialization compatible
> with Sun's.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the approach of using an inner
class called DefaultSerialization has gone stale, and there are now
better ways of making Kaffe's Hashtable compatible with Suns.

Does anyone remember if Sun's VM ever at any point included a
"DefaultSerialization" inner class which was magical?  (I checked
JDK1.4 and JDK1.3 --- just by using reflection, mind you. :)

I guess I'll try "fixing" Hashtable to not use this magic inner class
(and still be compatible with Sun's serialized classes).  This
exercise will probably make the motivation for DefaultSerialization
obvious...

-Pat

Pat Tullmann                                       tullmann at cs.utah.edu
                          Mean people suck.