[kaffe] kaffe & rxtx

Dan dansix@pobox.com
Mon Apr 14 17:12:01 2003

yeah, rxtx works with Kaffe (the CVS version as of a week ago).
I made it a lot harder than it should have been (I always do).

Follow the rxtx install locations for the sun jdk 1.1
delete the kaffe comm.jar then put:
    javax.comm.properties in <kaffe>/jre/lib
    comm.jar in <kaffe>/jre/lib
    jcl.jar in <kaffe>/jre/lib
    librxtx* in <kaffe>/jre/lib/i386

when jcl.jar and comm.jar are not in the right place, even though they are in the
classpath, things don't seem to work well. If kaffe can find comm.jar and not jcl.jar I
wasn't getting any errors or anything, just no ports found. hmm.

Anyway, it works. Im happy.

Here is my test program if anyone else is going to use rxtx. It simple lists all available
ports:

--------------------  [SNIP CommCheck.java] --------------------------
import javax.comm.*;
import java.util.*;

// List all of the ports on my computer.

public class CommCheck {

        // e = All PortIdentifiers on the computer (parallel,
serial, etc)
        Enumeration e = CommPortIdentifier.getPortIdentifiers();

        while (e.hasMoreElements()) {
            CommPortIdentifier PortID = (CommPortIdentifier)
e.nextElement();
            System.out.print( PortID + " is " + PortID.getName()
);

            switch( PortID.getPortType() ) {
                case CommPortIdentifier.PORT_SERIAL:
                    System.out.print( ", serial port" );
                    break;
                case CommPortIdentifier.PORT_PARALLEL:
                    System.out.print( ", parallel port" );
                    break;
                default:
                    System.out.print( ", unknown port type" );
                    break;
            }
            System.out.println();
        }
    }
}

I also found it helpful to edit RXTXCommDriver.java and RXTXPort.java and set the
debug variables to true. This dumps all sorts of stuff to thecrseen but then you know
for sure that the native drivers have been found and loaded, what ports its finding
and that you need to deal with the lock files and all that.

Dan