[kaffe] Re: Future of extension libraries (Was: Re: [kaffe] NoSuchMethodError: javax/servlet/ServletContext.setAttribute)

Jim Pick jim@kaffe.org
Sat Apr 19 07:19:01 2003

Personally, I think that the core Kaffe package should leave out any
extension libraries that aren't in Sun's JDK.  We should drop some of
the current extensions that are in there now that aren't in Sun's JDK.

It's not that I think we should be slavishly following Sun's lead on
these things -- instead, I think this is just an easy call to make that
will help us to keep focused, and make the overall job smaller (it's
still huge).

That said, I don't see any problem with releasing companion packages on
the ftp site that might contain various extension classes, demos, etc.

I also think it's easier on our users if the packaging and installation
of Kaffe closely matches what's in the JDK.  That will make it easier to
use and deploy (eg. just drop it in), and we'll get more adoption in the
long run.

Cheers,

 - Jim