Future of extension libraries (Was: Re: [kaffe] NoSuchMethodError: javax/servlet/ServletContext.setAttribute)

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 19 03:57:01 PDT 2003

Hi Greg,

--- Greg Wooledge <greg at wooledge.org> wrote:
> Dalibor Topic (robilad at yahoo.com) wrote:
>
> > Could you try to rebuild latest CVS kaffe with the previous version of
> > kaffe/scripts/kaffe.in and see if that helps?
>
> Yes, that works.

Thanks for the quick response!

What apparently seems to happen is that kaffe tries to use its own servlets
implementation (yes, there is one in libraries/extensions/servlet), which not
up to date with the latest servlet specs, or at least the one required by
freenet.

We've had a similar case last week, with the javax.comm implementation and
rxtx, where the way to get rxtx to work is to remove kaffe's javax.comm
implementation ;)

What I could do, would be to try to replace kaffe's implementation of
javax.servlet with GNU Paperclips which apparently is more up to date with the
latest Servlets specs. I could also try to replace kaffe's implementation of
javax.comm with rxtx's one. But given that none of them is part of the JDK
(1.4), I'd like to ask first if anyone objects before I do some big moves.