[kaffe] Gilgul 1.0.7 released

Pascal Costanza costanza at iai.uni-bonn.de
Wed Apr 23 08:35:01 PDT 2003

Dalibor Topic wrote:

>>Gilgul is an compatible extension to the Java
>>language,
>>which provides means for unanticipated software
>>evolution.
>>Head to
>>http://javalab.cs.uni-bonn.de/research/gilgul/ for
>>more information and download.

> I'm impressed by the atomic object reference rerouting
> feature. I think it would be interesting to see some
> colaboration between your work and Jon's. BDBJ [1] is
> a Java debugger based on kaffe that allows to step
> *backwards* through code.
>
> So picture a combination of both: an ueber-debugger
> that allows you to find the bug, step back until you
> find the offending statement, and to replace the buggy
> instance with a corrected version. That could bring a
> HotSwap [2] capability to BDBJ, and later, kaffe, if
> we implement JVMDI and friends based on BDBJ.

Here is some important information about the Gilgul stuff:

Gilgul is the result of a research project at our institute that is
about to finish soon. Effectively, this means that we will lack the
resources to continue the work on Gilgul pretty soon.

So, if you are really interested in integrating our stuff in your
debugger, just go ahead, grab it and make it your own. It's not
important to me that Gilgul is going to survive as an approach of its
own - after all, I strongly believe that the dissemination of good ideas
is more important. I'd be thrilled to see our ideas to find their ways
into other approaches in some way or the other, regardless whether it is
still called Gilgul or not, or if it is a language extension or not.

This also applies to the potential inclusion into Guarana, of course.

Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza               University of Bonn
mailto:costanza at web.de        Institute of Computer Science III