[kaffe] compiling for m68k with optimization works.

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 02:59:01 PDT 2003

Hi Kiyo,

--- Kiyo Inaba <inaba at src.ricoh.co.jp> wrote:
> As far as 'ifaddrs_linux.c' is concerned, I have several questions.
>
> 1) It is not mentioned in ChangeLog.

Seems like I forgot to put it in there. the whole 'replace' directory,
actually. But the CVS entry has the information :
http://www.kaffe.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/kaffe/replace/ifaddrs_linux.c

It was checked in on 2003-02-21. I'll update the ChangeLog entry.

> 2) Support how many versions of linux?
> After just browsing source code of ifaddrs_linux.c, my feeling tells
> me this software use some new features available in linux (netlink
> and netpacket). If we really merge this when we use kaffe on linux,
> we have to limit the supporting versions on linux. Am I right?

I think netlink support for glibc has been available since 1998:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-hacker/1998-11/msg00146.html . I don't know
about netpacket, but I think it predates that.

On the other hand, netpacket/packet.h is controversial:
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/2002/07/msg00029.html

AFAIK, getifaddrs has been introduced recently into glibc [1]. There apparently
also exists an implementation by the USAGI project that is IPV6 aware:
http://www.linux-ipv6.org/ and
http://www.linux-ipv6.org/ml/usagi-users/msg01918.html.

I see five options:
a) Tell people to upgrade to latest glibc on linux (only ipv4)
b) drop the replacement getifaddrs code (i.e. just use the dummy functions if
getifaddrs is not found) (no ipv4 or ipv6 at all ;)
c) use USAGI for ipv6 capable getifaddrs (ipv4, ipv6)
d) improve the replacement function further until it works on older systems,
too
(ipv4, ipv6)
e) use something to abstract from the networking layer, like GNet [2].

According to the glibc 2.3.2 README it is supposed to run on 2.X versions of
linux, on most processors (with a few 64 bit exceptions, that require a 2.4
kernel).

> Because, I just browse the source and some make messages, I have
> no idea what is best when we don't have netlink or netpacket on
> linux. Suggestions please.

I hope Tim will have some better suggestions than mine. ;)

[1] From ChangeLog.13 in glibc-2.3.2:

 2002-07-24  Roland McGrath  <roland at frob.com>

        Added <ifaddrs.h> interface with functions `getifaddrs', `freeifaddrs'.
        This implementation supports only IPv4.

[2] http://www.gnetlibrary.org/ (ipv4, ipv6).