[kaffe] Re: Please update kaffe in FreeBSD ports collection

Mark Huizer xaa at timewasters.nl
Sat Aug 2 03:54:02 PDT 2003

The wise Ito Kazumitsu produced the following lines:
> Hi,
>
> The version of kaffe in FreeBSD ports is 1.0.7,  but a lot
> of bug fixes and enhancements have been made since then
> and the new version 1.1.0 found at http://www.kaffe.org/ is
> quite usable.
>
> Could you please update the FreeBSD ports of kaffe?
>
> At the same time, I would like you to make the FreeBSD
> ports of kaffe include libiconv, without which the
> functionality of kaffe will be quite limited.  In my
> experience,  in order to include libiconv into kaffe
> on FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE, --with-libiconv-prefix=/usr/local
> is needed when running configure.

Please see the attachment, for a first attempt at a new port:
kaffe-devel.

This should install the new kaffe.

A few things are still to be sorted out, not sure when I will do that:

* the awt engine can be none, X or Qt. Perhaps I should make this
configurable. I suppose this has to do with appletviewer and javavm,
this is not compiler related.

* is this still jdk1.2? Couldn't find that in the releasenotes

* I still want to work on integrating this in the javawrapper stuff,
but I have to investigate how that works first

Mark

--
 Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3, even for very large values of 2.