[kaffe] Jython

Guilhem Lavaux guilhem at kaffe.org
Sun Aug 3 06:34:02 PDT 2003

Guilhem Lavaux wrote:

> Dalibor Topic wrote:
>
>> Rob Gonzalez wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Has anyone here gotten jython 2.1 to run successfully on kaffe?
>>

>> it used to, but right now I can't even run the installer anymore
>> since it crashes. Here's some debugger output:
>

> [trace snipped]
>

>> it crashes because JNIEnv env is garbled, and an attempt to call
>> (*env)->GetStringChars fails since it's 0. Ouch.
>>
>> The problems seem to have started with Tim's JVMPI patch. Kaffe from
>> Sat Jul 26 16:55:40 2003 UTC just crashes after a while when runng
>> the jythos-21 installer. The first crash with the same pattern is
>> from Mon Jul 28 09:45:05 2003 UTC, since Guihem's patch fixed the
>> first crash. Maybe they have an idea what's happening.
>

> Here is something better. Launch jython-21 installer and try to move
> (with opaque move) the window here and there. After a while (few
> seconds, sometime a bit longer) kaffe crashes at the same point... I
> do not have really an idea on what is wrong for the moment.
>
> Cheers,
> Guilhem.

I expect the threading system not to be completely innocent. If you try
to run the installer with unix-pthread (instead of unix-jthreads) it
never crashes (at least for me). However running jython seems harder, I get:

*sys-package-mgr*: processing new jar,
'/home/guilhem/ext2/PROJECTS/kaffe/libraries/javalib/kjc.jar'
*sys-package-mgr*: processing new jar, '/home/guilhem/jython-2.1/jython.jar'
*sys-package-mgr*: processing new jar,
'/home/guilhem/ext/local/jre/lib/rt.jar'
*sys-package-mgr*: skipping bad jar,
'/home/guilhem/ext/local/jre/lib/rt.jar'
*sys-package-mgr*: processing new jar,
'/home/guilhem/ext2/PROJECTS/kaffe/libraries/javalib/rt.jar'
*sys-package-mgr*: skipping bad jar,
'/home/guilhem/ext2/PROJECTS/kaffe/libraries/javalib/rt.jar'
*sys-package-mgr*: processing new jar, '/home/guilhem/ext/local/lib/kjc.jar'
Jython 2.1 on java1.3 (JIT: kaffe.jit)
kaffe-bin: machine.c:620: installMethodCode: Assertion `e->start_pc <=
e->end_pc' failed.

Do you have any idea of what is "a bad jar" ? the jitter seems also to
have some problem ...

Cheers,
Guilhem.