[kaffe] using kaffe instead of JDK to build open office

Chris Halls halls at debian.org
Fri Aug 8 08:24:02 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 10:51:11AM +0200, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> >I meant I'm 70% of the way for the first of the categories I mentioned,
> >which concerns only building a Java-less OOo.  There is still a lot of work
> >to do on building OOo with actual Java support still.
>
> I guess even building a Java-less OOo with kaffe would be a good start :)

Yes :)

> >While we're on the subject of incompatibilities :) I wonder if it's
> >possible
> >to fix this:
> >
> >jni.h is in <kaffe>/include and contains these includes:
> >  #include "jtypes.h"
> >  #include "jmalloc.h"
[,,,]

> Fixed in kaffe's CVS head, I've built berkeley db and run it
> successfully. Thanks for the bug report, keep'em coming :)

Thanks!  That seems to be working now - I can build berkeleydb too.

The next project to fail when trying to build OOo with Java support is
'sandbox', but I'm afraid it's because of the use of sun internal classes
for the JDK.  I see errors like:

ClassContextImpl.java:1: error:Can not found "sun/tools/jar/JarVerifierStream" [JLS 7.5.2, 7.6]
JarInputStream.java:1: error:Can not found "sun/tools/jar/JarException" [JLS 7.5.2, 7.6]
ProtectionDomain.java:1: error:Can not found "sun/security/provider/SystemIdentity" [JLS 7.5.2, 7.6]
ProtectionDomain.java:1: error:Can not found "sun/security/provider/SystemSigner" [JLS 7.5.2, 7.6]
Resource.java:1: error:Can not found "sun/applet/AppletAudioClip" [JLS 7.5.2, 7.6]
ResourceImpl.java:1: error:Can not found "sun/awt/image/ByteArrayImageSource" [JLS 7.5.2, 7.6]
ResourceImpl.java:1: error:Can not found "sun/awt/image/URLImageSource" [JLS 7.5.2, 7.6]

What possible options are there for this?  I guess that the sandbox classes
could be reimplemented sometime using free classes?

So far people at Sun have been able to respond to questions of 'why doesn't
OOo build with a free JDK' with the answer that no-one has really tried in
earnest.  I wonder whether there is any chance of getting some of these
reimplmented to not use classes that are not even an official part of the
JDK API.

Chris