[kaffe] Kaffe as the main JVM

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Tue Aug 12 15:43:01 PDT 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:59:11 +0200
"jerome moliere" <jmoliere at nerim.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I know kaffe for a while, but I'm about delivering a report for a huge
> french institution seraching for a lightt JVM enough to be linked from
> their website & able to launch their applets. Code is Java 1.1 (awt,
> .net, .io) so kaffe could make the stuff...
> But what about the process of running kaffe without the cygwin stuff ?
> Because I can't ask customers to download & install the cygwin package..
> So is it possible to compile the kaffe code against the native MFC code
> (Win32 API)...
> I guess that the answer is no but I must be sure....
> If not, it means that there's no way to deliver an open source JVM on
> the windows desktop (for non developers :))

Back when Transvirtual was still around, I manage to get their internal
version of kaffe (not the kaffe.org version) to build with mingw32, but
they already had a Win32 port.  So if anybody wants to work on getting
the kaffe.org version to work without the cygwin emulation layer, it
might be worth digging stuff out of the Transvirtual version.

Cheers,

 - Jim