[kaffe] kaffe.util.SupportDisabled: GNU gmp was not found by Kaffe configure script

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Sat Aug 16 07:38:02 PDT 2003

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 16:26:24 +0200
Dalibor Topic <robilad at kaffe.org> wrote:

> Jim Pick wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've encountered this a few times.  It happens the first time I run
> > Kaffe when I've been installing Kaffe on a new system:
> >
> > kaffe.util.SupportDisabled: GNU gmp was not found by Kaffe configure script
> >
> > It's because the gmp development package wasn't configured.
> >
> > I'd prefer it if Kaffe bailed out at configure time when it can't find
> > gmp, unless I specifically override looking for gmp.
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> it should just proceed to use the pure java implementation in the case
> where it can'z find GNU gmp (at least I though I had taught the
> configure.in that trick).

I disagree on that.  We should pick one implementation as the default,
and the other one should be available, but it should not be used as an
automatic fallback for the case where the configure checks for the
default fail.

That violates the "principle of least surprise".  People should get the
implementation that they are expecting.

If somebody wants the alternate implementation, they should have to
explicitly ask for it.  We might have different defaults depending on
the platform, though.

> What did your configure.log's checks for GNU mp look like, i.e. which ones failed?

ac_cv_header_gmp_h=no
ac_cv_lib_gmp___gmpz_get_d=no
ac_cv_lib_gmp_mpz_get_d=no

These were supposed to fail, of course, because the -dev package for gmp
wasn't installed.

Cheers,

 - Jim