[kaffe] Re: RMI bugs and quirks

Guilhem Lavaux guilhem at kaffe.org
Tue Aug 19 11:40:03 PDT 2003

Jeremy.Buisson at irisa.fr wrote:

>Hi,
>
>This is exactly the problem I met. This comes from the
>java.io.ObjectInputStream class. In facts, the one you merged from Classpath
>is not the latest version from CVS, and still contains bugs. The one that
>interests us resides in the readClassDescriptor() method : to load the class,
>it uses resolveClass(String), which seems to be non-standard, instead of the
>resolveClass(ObjectStreamClass). Doing so inhibits the redefinitions of the
>method in derivated classes (such as RMIObjectInputStream). RMI shows this bug
>because it redefines the resolveClass(ObjectStreamClass) in particular in
>order to extract annotations from the object stream. The thrown exception only
>means that this : annotations have not been read.
>
>It seems that the latest version of java.io.ObjectInputStream in Classpath's
>CVS fixes at least this bug. I started to integrate it in my local Kaffe, but
>it seems like I made it a bit too fast :-/ I still have not looked for
>dependencies upon other classes that are still not present in Kaffe.

Please ! Do not reverse ObjectInputStream from Classpath it is really
buggy. I will fix the Serialization/RMI
problem asap using the new logic. In fact I added resolveClass(String)
to be a little quicker but as it seems
it is breaking things I will fall back to a standard behaviour.
Serialization in Classpath is not clean
at all for serialization.

Cheers,
Guilhem.

P.S.: I was out today so I did not make so much work.