[kaffe] Status of FOP 0.20.5 on kaffe from CVS

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Thu Dec 4 08:09:02 PST 2003

Hi all,

I played a bit around with FOP today. I'm amazed how much works fine,
actually. I set JAVA_HOME to where I installed kaffe, and ran fop on all
the examples in examples/fo to produce pdf files. It didn't work on all
of them, but it worked and produced correct results on many examples.

As long as the FO file doesn't involve graphics, especially SVG, or
massive fonts trickery, or hyphenation tables, it seems to work alright.

The SVG problem is partially related to a bug in kaffe's
DirectColorModel implementation. I tryed to replace it with the
implementation from GNU Classpath, but that broke MPEG_Play again, which
was fixed by Nicolas last year. Nicolas, do you have the time to look at
the DirectColorImplementation from GNU Classpath and merge it in, fixing
its bugs?

Replacing DirectColorModel lets fop get a little further, until it
breaks because kaffe doesn't have a Java2D implementation yet. I hope to
be able to merge in Agile2D for that task eventually, but that's post
1.1.3 material.