[kaffe] kaffe is not compiling on cygwin

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Fri Dec 5 10:55:02 PST 2003

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 05:15:48 -0800 (PST)
Michael Franz <mvfranz at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Michael Nascimento Santos <mister__m at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I am trying to install kaffe 1.1.2 or kaffe 1.0.7 on
> > cygwin, but I'm getting
> > compiler errors with both versions. I'd like to know
> > if these versions have
> > been tested with cygwin and what I should do to make
> > it work for me. I have
> > googled through the archives but couldn't find an
> > answer to my problem. Any
> > help will be appreciated.

> When was the last time cygwin was supported?  I was
> looking at this the other day and thought it was funny
> that I got this error.  Was support stopped or did the
> build somehow change?

Yep, Kaffe is broken on Cygwin.

  http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2003-November/044378.html

There has been work done on Cygwin support in the past, but I'm not sure
what is a good version to work with.  I did get it to compile and run
some stuff around the time of the 1.0.7 release, with the interpreter
only, but it failed a whole lot of regression tests.   I'm sure it
worked better at other times.

We sort of need somebody to "adopt" the port, and try to fix it.
Volunteers?

It's definitely something I want to see happen, I'll probably even do it
myself someday, since I actually care about Windows somewhat (I
occasionally play games on it, and my family uses it).  Actually, I'd
like to see a mingw32 port working as well -- I did one back at
Transvirtual with their in-house version of Kaffe.  Keep in mind, my
timetable is pretty relaxed, so that may mean it'll be a year before I
cycle around to it. :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim