[kaffe] Re: Bug Status of Kaffe

Ben Burton bab at debian.org
Fri Dec 26 14:16:02 PST 2003

severity 210716 important
thanks

> > #210716 jython causes kaffe to fail with assert error
> >
> >         ,----
> >         | Version: 1:1.1.1-1
> >         | > After removing the JNI lines from jython shell script (see
> >         | > issue #207998) kaffe dies with kaffe-bin: machine.c:620:
> >         | > installMethodCode: Assertion `e->start_pc <= e->end_pc'
> >         | > failed.
> >         | Is this releated to #167936? I would imagine one of the
> >         | reasons those lines are in the jython script is because of
> >         | bugs like #167936.
> >         | >> #167936 Please include /usr/lib/jni in default JNI search
> >         | >> path
> >         `----
>
> /usr/lib/jni is debian specific. A debian specific patch would be necessary.

But this crash is not a debian-specific bug.  The bug here is that jython
causes kaffe to crash on startup *after* all of the required classes have
been found - it has nothing to do with the library path.

Kaffe already searches in /usr/lib/jni by default.  The jython startup script
however still adds /usr/lib/jni to the search path because some other JVMs
are still broken.  This causes kaffe to crash because it can't find its own
bootstrap classes (#207998).  This is not the crash we are talking about here.

Kaffe doesn't need this addition to the JNI path, since it already
searches /usr/lib/jni.  So you can just take the path extension out of the
jython startup script and we can avoid #207998 completely.  Therefore
kaffe should start with no problems.

This is where this crash comes up.  Once you have kaffe finding all of the
JNI libraries that it should (including the ones used with jython and the
kaffe bootstrap classes), it then crashes with 'e->start_pc <= e->end_pc'
failed.

So this is definitely a kaffe issue, not a debian-specific issue or a JNI
path issue.

(Marking this bug important since it causes a complete JVM crash.)

Ben. :)