[kaffe] regression test stalled

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 3 07:37:01 PST 2003

Hi Pat, hi Guilin,

--- Patrick Tullmann <tullmann at cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> > The test didn't progress for more than 2 hours
> after "PASS:
> > SoTimeout.java" was printed. I stopped it using
> CTRL_C. Is it normal
> > to wait for so long time or there is something
> wrong?
>
> It shouldn't take that long on any one test, so it
> was probably hung.
> Since SoTimeout passed, it was probably hung on the
> next test:
> wc.java.

Guilin, could you try running 'make check VERBOSE=1'
in order to see what kaffe is doing when it hangs? It
could hang on the test compilation step for example.

> > Moreover, the test failed for some programs:
> DoubleCvt.java,
> > ThreadState.java, ProcessTest.java
>
> These failures might be benign, the way to tell is
> to look at the
> "*.fail" and compare with the corresponding "*.out"
> file.  ".fail" is
> the actual output, and .out is the expected output.
> You can just send
> the .fail files to the list (assuming they're not
> too big).

For me, on Sun OS 5.8 on sparc the latest version from
CVS passes make check without hanging anywhere. I get
7 test failures with jit:
> ls -1 *.fail

CLTestConc.fail
(this is a crash)
DoubleCvt.fail
GCTest.fail
NoClassDefTest.fail
(another crash)
PipeTest.fail
(another crash. occurs occasionally)
TestSerialPersistent.fail
(Another crash)
TestUnlock.fail
ThreadState.fail

I've attached the *.fail files and I could provide
stack traces, if anyone is interested in debugging the
threading/locking issues.

> > The OS is SunOS 5.8, and I am not a root user.

Are you on i386 or on a sparc?

> I'm actually a bit surprised it ran at all!  :)  I
> don't recall if
> anyone has done much work on SunOS support
> recently...

I fixed a regression test last summer but that's about
it ;) Guilin, it would be great if you could work with
us on fixing the remaining issues on Solaris.

best regards,