[kaffe] Kaffe CVS: kaffe dalibor

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 6 08:39:01 PST 2003

Hi Tim,

--- Timothy Stack <stack at cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> > Fixed & checked in. I used $(srcdir) instead of
> > $(abssrcdir).
>
> Yeah, that worked for me too.  The reason it was
> failing silently is
> because Character.java couldn't load 'unicode.tbl'
> and 'unicode.idx'.
> Apparently, it will _only_ load them from a JAR
> file, so just
> specifying the 'lib' directory wasn't enough.  And,
> since it was
> Character that was failing, it couldn't print out
> any error messages.

One way to avoid such things in the future would be to
use Classpath's CharData class.
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/classpath/classpath/gnu/java/lang/CharData.java?rev=1.6&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
as proposed by Mark Wielaard
http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2002-December/009414.html

By loading the data from a class file instead of a
resource, we can probably reduce the set of essential
files needed to run HelloWorld quite a bit, as there
may no longer be a need to do all that resource
us with a current CharData file, which is a good
thing, IMHO.

What do you think?