[kaffe] networkaddress.cache.ttl

Matthew Toseland toad at amphibian.dyndns.org
Fri Feb 21 15:34:01 PST 2003

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 06:13:09PM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> Dalibor Topic (robilad at yahoo.com) wrote:
>
> > InetAddress caching shouldn't be that hard to add,
> > though, if you'd like to submit a patch.
>
> Hehe... no, Matthew left out the context for his question.  He's
> maintaining Freenet (freenetproject.org), and the caching of old
> DNS lookup data by the Sun JVM is causing some problems for users
> with dynamic DNS hostnames.  He wants to turn caching *off*! :)

Well actually it's causing problems for all nodes, because they have to
talk to nodes with dynamic DNS hostnames. It's really quite beautiful,
in a way, that all sun JVMs prior to 1.4, BY DESIGN, cache all successful
DNS lookups forever... and even 1.4.1 seems to have a bug that causes
the exact same behaviour even when we follow the docs and turn it off.
We could of course recommend that all users use Kaffe, but the
self-appointed project manglement have decreed that we will not use
project funds to work on Kaffe, and there are major bugs in kaffe
causing my node to abort with assertions, segfaults etc in a matter of
minutes if I try to run it under Kaffe.

--
Matthew Toseland
toad at amphibian.dyndns.org/amphibian at users.sourceforge.net