[kaffe] Compare kaffe and IBMJava2-131 Java Virtual Machine.

xie fei phoebexie412 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 27 05:08:02 PST 2003

I have downloaded kaffe and IBMJava2-131 Java VIrtual machine from the website. And install the run them under Linux Redhat 7.3. When I use the benchmark VolanoBenchmark and VolanoChat to test the performance and network scalability of them, I get the result as follow:

Performance: Kaffe

VolanoMark version = 2.1.2
Messages sent      = 2000
Messages received  = 38000
Total messages     = 40000
Elapsed time       = 13.422 seconds
Average throughput = 2980 messages per second

IBMJava2-131

VolanoMark version = 2.1.2
Messages sent      = 2000
Messages received  = 38000
Total messages     = 40000
Elapsed time       = 5.834 seconds
Average throughput = 6856 messages per second

Network Scalability:

Kaffe:

680 connections so far.
Creating room number 35 ...

IBMJava2-131:

500 connections so far.
Creating room number 26 ...

According to the two results, kaffe's performance is not good as IBMJava2-131, while its network scalability is better.

Has anyone compare this or have any experience of this,  please give your results and  explaination. So I can learn more about it. Thank you very much!

Xiefei