[kaffe] Can I compile kaffe-1.0.7 using sun's compiler?

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 28 08:39:02 PST 2003

Hi Shen,

--- Shen Qinghua <shenqing at comp.nus.edu.sg> wrote:
> I need to port the kaffe to RSIM and must use the
> sun's compiler.
> but the error message says: Kaffe can only build
> with gcc.

That's right, Kaffe uses some gcc specific constructs.
If you want to replace them with standard C ones,
you'll have to remove the error message from
configure.in, autoreconf, and fix the breakage on your
compiler one step after the other. And keep in touch
with the mailing list ;)

Note that I don't know if all of gcc-isms can in
practice be replaced by standard C constructs (or the
subset that your compiler understands). If you want to
work on de-gcc-ifying kaffe's sources, that would be
very welcome.

It has apparently been done before: I've seen messages
in kaffe's mailing list archives about working builds
with HP's CC and MS VC++, so *in theory* it should be
possible to clean up the source. As I haven't written
a single gcc-specific line in kaffe myself, I can't
say how hard it would be in practice. :(