[kaffe] [crash] Jython 2.1 Installer vs. jthread_disable_stop

Dalibor Topic robilad@yahoo.com
Fri Jan 10 16:07:01 2003

--- Dalibor Topic <robilad@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> --- Timothy Stack <stack@cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> >
> > A lame guess is that this is due to a cycle in the
> > serialized objects and
> > kaffe not being smart enough to notice.  But, I
> > don't know that much about
> > the serialization code (pat touched it last if we
> go
> > the hot potato
> > route).
>
> Sound like as good guess as any. I'll see what I can
> find.

It works if I double the stack size, -ss 64K.

I've talked to Godmar about setting the default stack
size to 64K for jit3, but he thinks that it's bad
enough as it is ;) And he's right.

That would only buy us cases where the serialization
stack fits into 64K. In order to be able to serialize
more complicated objects, we'd have to bump up the
stack size again. So I'm wondering if serialization
could be made non-recursive using a List to store the
entries in the order to be serialized, and then
iterating over the list and writing them out on the
stream. That should in theory handle as large objects
as can fit into memory. What do you think?

best regards,