[kaffe] Tritonus javax.sound implementation merged into kaffe CVS

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 6 09:39:02 PST 2003

Hi,

with a lot of help from Matthias Pfisterer, I've
merged in core functionaly from tritonus into kaffe's
CVS. This means that now there is a functional
javax.sound [1] implementation in kaffe. It also means
that tritonus works on a free software virtual
machine.

I've included the alsa and the esd backends from
tritonus. You can select one of them during
configuration using ./configure --with-sound=BACKEND.

Playback of sampled sounds works on both backends. The
alsa backend is only useful on Linux platforms, the
esd backend should work on all platforms supported
under esound, i.e. most Unix platforms.

MIDI is only supported under the alsa backend. There
are some problems with MIDI playback, though.

I haven't tested other functionality. I'm looking
forward to your bug reports ;)

Kaffe is a clean room implementation of the Java
virtual machine, plus the associated class libraries
needed to provide a Java runtime environment. The
Kaffe virtual machine is free software, licensed under
the terms of the GNU Public License.

Its source is available via anonymous CVS. More
details on how to get it are available on
http://www.kaffe.org/anoncvs.shtml

I'd like to thank Matthias Pfisterer for his
invaluable support, Helmer Kraemer for his bug fixes,
and all other developers involved in both projects for
making this happen.

best regards and a happy new year,
dalibor topic

[1] javax.sound is part of the core Java 1.4 API.