[kaffe] sound related configure "bug"

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 23 16:19:01 PST 2003

Hi Tim,

--- Timothy Stack <stack at cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> hi,
>
> I'm having problems building from the current CVS
> repository.  The
> configure script is detecting libesd in
> /usr/local/lib, but
> /usr/local/include isn't in the include directory
> list when compiling.
> So, it goes boom.
>
> Looking at configure.in, it defaults to adding
> /usr/local/lib if
> --with-libraries isn't specified.  So, i would
> suggest doing a similar
> thing for --with-includes.

The problem with that approach is that it breaks apart
on latest red hat and mandrake distributions, and
probably other systems that use gcc 3.2. See
http://www.kaffe.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/kaffe/configure.in.diff?r1=1.166&r2=1.167

ChangeLog entry was:
Wed Nov 13 12:11:59 CET 2002 Dalibor Topic
<robilad at yahoo.com>

        * configure.in: removed -I/usr/local/include
from default
        CPPFLAGS, as it makes configure miss all
header files on on
        gcc 3.2 based Mandrake Linux 9.0.

See also these bug reports:
http://www.mail-archive.com/kaffe@kaffe.org/msg01134.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/kaffe@kaffe.org/msg01271.html

This seems to be a widely experienced problem with gcc
3.2, here's a take from Zack Weinberg:
http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-textutils@gnu.org/msg00883.html

It doesn't seem to be going to be reverted to the old
behaviour soon. So I'd instead propose to remove
automatic adding of /usr/local/lib from
--with-libraries instead as it's causing problems,
too.

best regards,