[kaffe] locks patch

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 2 06:26:03 PDT 2003

--- Helmer Krämer <hkraemer at freenet.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've attached a small patch that fixes some issues
> related to the handling of locks in kaffe. Review
> and comments appreciated ;)

applies but doesn't build against the latest CVS sources :( when I make kaffe,
I get:

../../../kaffe/kaffe/kaffevm/exception.c: In function `unwindStackFrame':
../../../kaffe/kaffe/kaffevm/exception.c:371: too few arguments to function
`_slowUnlockMutexIfHeld'
gmake[3]: *** [exception.lo] Error 1

The line is
	/* If method found and synchronised, unlock the lock */
	if (obj != 0 && (meth->accflags & ACC_SYNCHRONISED) != 0) {
->		_slowUnlockMutexIfHeld(&obj->lock, (void*)frame->fp);
	}

and adding &obj->heavyLock doesn't work either ...

> Stuff contained in the patch:
>
> * the specialLocks array is removed; special locks whose heavyLock
>   should not be gc_malloc'ed are now of type struct _iStaticLock,
>   which contains a struct _iLock field.
> * _slowUnlockMutex correctly handles !STACK_GROWS_UP
> * _slowUnlockMutexIfHeld no longer allocates a heavyLock if that's
>   unnecessary
> * _releaseLock and _acquireLock have been removed since they don't
>   seem to be used anywhere
> * _lockMutex uses jthread_on_current_stack to detect recursive
>   invocations

sounds very good (and looks nice in the patch;).

On a side note, I'd prefer a change of _something identifiers to
internalSomething, since identifiers starting with _ are reserved for the C
compiler/library. What do you think?