[kaffe] Porting Kaffe on Cray

Kevin D. Kissell kevink at mips.com
Tue Jul 8 00:02:01 PDT 2003

I would think that the biggest problem is going to come from a lack of GNU infrastructure.
Do you have gcc and gnu make working on that platform?  If you've got that in place,
given that 64-bit ports have already been done, an interpreter port ought not to be too
difficult.  A JIT3 implementation for the SV1 processor would be a lot of work, considering
that most non-x86 JIT3 ports are currently failing at least one regression test, but might
be worth spending some effort, since even with a JIT, I would expect kaffe to run like sludge
on a Cray scalar unit.  If you can figure out a practical way to use the vector units for
Java interpretation or JITting, I can pretty much guarantee you a doctorate from any
one of a number of leading computer science schools.  ;o)