[kaffe] Debugging Help

Timothy Stack stack at cs.utah.edu
Wed Jul 30 12:50:03 PDT 2003

> Hi all,

hi,

> Attached is a patch for a nearly completed bytecode verifier.  There are
> two things that are still not checked that are required by JVM Spec 4.8.2,
> but they will be pretty simple to add in later.

Well, first, there are a couple references to 'free()' which should be
'KFREE()'.  Second, try running the test suite with kjc instead of jikes
since its tripping over an assert for me (I don't have time to fix/look at
this at the moment).

> Kaffe with verification passes all the usual regression tests with it
> except for LostTrampolineFrame.  The VerifyError is raised when
> LostTrampolineFrame$DamagedClass is verified, and is caught by the wrong
> handler.  I don't really know what's going on with that test, and have
> tried following it in gdb, but am having troubles deducing the problem.

This is benign.  Before your stuff, the exception was thrown while
jitting, which triggered the case I was trying to test (the trampoline was
masking the frame that originally made the method call).  But now the
exception is thrown during loading, so the fix is to find another way to
make the jitter throw an exception...

> Thanks,
> Rob

tim