[kaffe] libraries/clib/net/InetAddressImpl.c cannot be compiled on old Linux

Ito Kazumitsu ito.kazumitsu at hitachi-cable.co.jp
Mon Jun 2 18:35:02 PDT 2003

In message "Re: [kaffe] libraries/clib/net/InetAddressImpl.c cannot be compiled on old Linux"
    on 03/05/30, Dalibor Topic <robilad at yahoo.com> writes:

> In fact, automake offers bultin support for that using AM_FUNC_STRTOD. I think
> that one is supposed to use the strtod.c from libit (libiberty). If that's the
> source you used, I'll create a patch that lets kaffe use that strtod function,
> in case the system implementation is broken, and post it to the list.

I tried the strtod.c from libiberty that comes with binutils-2.13.2.1,
but found it to be a poor man's strtod which uses atof.  And atof
of my old Linux seems to use its own strtod internally, So it
cannot be of any help: it converts 4.9406564584124654418e-324 to 0.0.

The strtod I am using now is
/*      $NetBSD: strtod.c,v 1.24 1997/03/29 21:05:22 thorpej Exp $      */
which compiles without requiring extra header files.

I am afraid few people are complaining about the poor behavior
of strtod and most people recommend that libc should be updated.
So please do not spend much time on this matter.

Thank you.