[kaffe] Re: The problem of "Double.c and buggy strtod" is settled

Ito Kazumitsu ito.kazumitsu at hitachi-cable.co.jp
Thu Jun 5 18:47:01 PDT 2003

By the way, let's consider why old Linux user like me was
happy with kaffe-1.0.7.

Because kaffe-1.0.7 had precompiled Klasses.jar and we did not
have to compile java/lang/Double.java ourselves.  The result
of "make check" showed "FAIL: DoublePrint.java",  but that
did not matter practically.

But now,  we have to compile java/lang/Double.java ourselves.
So we need good strtod that recognizes java.lang.Double.MIN_VALUE.

What I finally did was to replace the system-wide /usr/lib/libc.so
so that it used the NetBSD-origin strtod.  But I am afraid not all
of the old Linux users can do this.

Dalibor is trying hard to include some good strtod source into
kaffe.  This approach is facing some obstacles.  I think I will
cooperate with him until we succeed.  So I have restored the
original /usr/lib/libc.so in order to test his patches.