[kaffe] SH3 problem

Kiyo Inaba inaba at src.ricoh.co.jp
Sun Jun 8 00:16:01 PDT 2003

Hi Dalibor,

>I assume this is caused by the initial class loader changes back then. The
>resulting problems should have been fixed with 2003-05-27  Helmer Kraemer
><hkraemer at freenet.de>. So I hope that a later version should work again.

Your assumption is correct. But unfortunately 2003-05-27's mod does not
fix this problem.

The reason why I can say this is slightly long story with my assumption.
1. The 'make check' in test/regression does not assume to set environmental
   variables BOOTCLASSPATH or CLASSPATH. (It's my assumption)
2. If I don't set anything to these two environmental variables, regression
   test fails because of it can not find 'kjc'.
3. If I set '.' and '{source_dir}/libraries/javalib/kjc.jar' to
   BOOTCLASSPATH regression test goes ok.
4. This is not true for native compiled kaffe (I tested with linux and NetBSD
   /i686) and I guess it is because the treatment of kaffe-bin is different
   native kaffe and cross-compiled kaffe is different.

I prefer 'kaffe-bin' as an executable at least for cross-compiled kaffe
(one of my future target does not have 'shell' ;-<), and I have no idea
what is the best way to fix this problem. One idea for 1.1.0 release is
to add one paragraph in 'FAQ.cross-compiling' for the work around (add
everything in CLASSPATH).

Kiyo