[kaffe] Re: AmigaOS Config failure

Tony Wyatt wyattaw at optushome.com.au
Tue Jun 10 03:58:01 PDT 2003

Hi Dalibor,

On 10-Jun-03, you wrote:

>> Sadly the configure script will not run on my AmigaOS platform. The
>> script crashes the machine, leaving only a file "configure.lineno"
>> behind. This file has 30,690 lines.
>
> Argh, the joys of cross-platform shell programming ;)

As I wrote to Iko, what I said above is no longer true. After several
attempts, it went past that point without demur.

> there should be a line like
>
> for ac_func in some-functions-from-configure.in
>
> somewhere above it, could you report back which functions they are? It may
> be some quoting problem ... then I'd put up a patched kaffe-1.1.0 archive
> for you to download and test.
>
>> One big problem is that the configure script says NOTHING to the screen.
>> I tried the configure with the --verbose flag, but still nothing. Since
>> the configure process under 1.0.7 takes about 80 minutes on my platform,
>> that's an awfully long silence to endure before any result can be
>> expected.

I was wrong again. Once it gets past that first part, it becomes loquatious again.

It now hangs up trying to ascertain the maximum command length. I'm sure it
did this before in the old configure, but I can't find it to compare. I may
be thinking of another application, like gmp.

As I posted before, I've added a special case for amigaos, to prevent the
search for command line length limit. At 3m 40s per trial, it's far too
slow.

Having got past the first "command line length determination", it tries to
do it all again some time later. However, the second attempt fails the
shortcut and after an hour of trying to find the limit, fails with memory
corruption.

Where is the second trial? Do I have to modify something else as well?
I guess I'll find out soon enough. I was sorta hoping the new version would
work out of the box.

Why does this silly configure program start looking for FORTRAN compilers?
It found a half-finished FORTRAN installation of mine and got itself in a
real knot trying to configure it. I had to rename it to make it invisible.

tony