[kaffe] Re: Kaffe compatibility with XOM

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Thu Jun 19 07:37:02 PDT 2003

> >motivate them to get some fixes in for 1.1.1 (which should be out in a
> >few months).

Great!

> On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 03:23, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>
> Of course. It seems there are really three separate problems:
>
> 1. There are some compatibility issues with JUnit. This is huge given
> the number of projects using JUnit these days. This is much more
> important than any XOM-specific issue. The most immediate problem was
> the unimplemented Runtime.addShutdownHook.

Agreed.  I've seen those warnings a few times.  I've been meaning to
throw up my Apache Gump results on the website sometime, and getting
JUnit working nicely would help immensely.

> 2. The -Xmx non-standard option to the JVM isn't recognized. It's
> non-standard but very commonly used by heavyweight programs. Still,
> not a big deal. I was able to work around this, but it may be related
> to issue 3:

Actually, I think we do support that particular option.  We do need to
get our command line options more in sync with what's in the JDK though.

> 3. Performance was abysmal on one particular test that uses a lot of memory.
>
> What I initially thought was a bug in Kaffe's reflection turns out to
> be probably a bug in JUnit instead. I am investigating that one
> further. I'll let you know what I find.

Our garbage collection is somewhat primitive compared to what's in JDK
1.4.x, so I wouldn't be surprised if we take a hit in that department.
On the other hand, I'm very interested in collecting together tests that
really stress the memory management subsystem.

Cheers,

 - Jim