[kaffe] Can Kaffe profit from the released JDK in Sun's SCSL?

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 20 08:45:01 PDT 2003

http://www.computerworld.com/developmenttopics/development/java/story/0,10801,82157,00.html

http://www.computerworld.com/developmenttopics/development/java/story/0,10801,82286,00.html

> So it looks like Sun is at least talking about it...

Yeah, but that doesn't mean it's going to be GPL compatible. At least they
GPLed Star Office. ;)

More information on SCSL:

http://www.advogato.org/article/102.html
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/ch5.html
http://eu.conecta.it/paper/Case_study_non_open.html

I'd sum it up as: "SCSL is bad for you". ;)

Anyway, it would be nice if they would release their Java Compatibility Kit for
recent versions. Then clean-room projects like kaffe could be evaluated by
anyone on how well they comply to Sun's tests of the specs.

I don't know why Sun didn't free the JCK to counter Microsoft's actions back
then. If they had released it, everybody could have easily evaluated for
themselves how shoddy Microsoft's implementation was.