[kaffe] failed regression tests

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 30 07:20:01 PDT 2003

> interesting, eh?  it turns out that my compiler (jikes 1.18) is spitting
> out tons of lexical warning messages such as:
>
> 	Issued 10 lexical warnings in "ThreadState.java":
>
> 	    46.         assert(false, "main " + e);
> 	                ^----^
>  	*** Lexical Warning: The use of "assert" as an identifier is
>         deprecated, as it is now a keyword. Use -source 1.4 if you
>         intended to make use of assertions.
>
> these warnings are confusing the testing script.  when i run jikes with
> the -nowarn option, this test is successful, as are:
>
> 	finaltest.java
> 	SortTest.java
> 	MapTest.java
> 	LineNumberReaderTest.java
>
> the regression scripts should definitely be ignoring the compiler output
> when checking to see if a test succeeds.

I'd prefer to fix the regression test not to generate any warnings ;) The
thread state example seems to be trivial enough: just rename assert to check,
and it should be fixed. Since you're already wrestling with jikes 1.18, could
you take a shot at fixing the warnings? If you don't have the time, I'd do it
myself.

> KaffeInternal.java:
> /* Expected Output:
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: kaffe/lang/ThreadStack
> */
>
> what i got:
>
> java.lang.SecurityException: Prohibited package: kaffe/lang/ThreadStack
>
> I believe that what I got is the expected behavior, only that between the
> writing of the regression test and now the exception thrown for a class
> attempting to access something that it should not be accessing has
> changed.  perhaps the expected output of the regression test should be
> updated?

Weird. worked fine for me with kjc, two days ago. I'll give it another shot
today.

> DoublePrint.java:
> InnerTest.java:

both seem to fail due to bugs in jikes 1.18, see
http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2003-May/042293.html for a reference.